Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Problem: Multi-Domain Shopping Cart

How does one create a shopping cart system that crosses domains?

The basic problem looks like this: I want to create a shopping cart
system that will retain it's state across multiple websites that
don't have the same root domain. For example: www.rnsoft.com and www.rssdreamfeeder.com and www.rssreplay.com and www.socialink.us -- all different domains. They don't even share a common root, so a
cookie-based system couldn't be shared.

I've been pondering this problem for a while. I figured I'd ask the
assembled masses and see what ya'll think. I'll be writing more on
the solution I've been cooking up later (it involves a mix of
javascript, ajax and php), but I'd really like your feedback because
I'm not sure my crack-pot scheme will work.

Thanks everyone.

No comments: