Monday, April 28, 2008

The Transition is On

OK, so after some pretty extensive discussions and testing I have made a decision not to host my own blog. The blog accounted for some of the largest amounts of traffic while I was regularly updating it. I plan to move the old blog entries -- at least the ones that are relevant to our ongoing discussion -- into the new blog. This will probably take some time and will have to wait until I complete my active development work.

I'm using Blogger now. I decided on that mostly because it integrates with Gmail, which I use for my personal email, and I can post via email from my iPhone on the road. This should make it easy for me to keep content flowing while keeping the tools required to a very minimal and highly portable set. 

And honestly, I like posting from my email -- even from my desktop. I guess I just grew up with email. It is just part of the way that I work and think. I feel pretty comfortable composing my thoughts and sending them off to the world. Emailing is already part of my workflow -- and takes much less effort that launching Dreamweaver and tossing off a page (yes, even with templates). 

I liked my old blogging method because it was a showcase for what you could do with RSS DreamFeeder. Both RSS and Atom feeds were generated from the pages I built in Dreamweaver. I am also a very firm believer in eating your own dog food -- that is, using the tools you build and sell to others for your own work as well. I often find some of the worst bugs myself while I'm using it. And I curse about it just as much as any customer might and perhaps even more so.

So making this switch was a tough choice, but the advantages of posting more will more than offset the drawback of using tools that are not of my own making (and selling). Though it will interest some of you to know that I am using RSS Replay (actually an early beta of version 2) to display this blog on the blog page at RNSoft.

On a programming note: I am going to be posting more of a mix of personal and business stuff here from now on. I tried two blogs and it just doesn't work for me. Many of the folks who read my blog are interested in both topics. And if you're not, well feel free to skip the personal stuff at any point. There are categories listed on this blog's main page (at the bottom-right) and if you click the category you'll see only content related to that topic. You can also subscribe to the category from that page.

No comments: